homestead - Re: [Homestead] The cast iron bread thing..

  • From: paxamicus AT earthlink.net
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] The cast iron bread thing..
  • Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 22:42:58 -0400

It might be. It might be your kitchen is warm and your second rising is going too fast.

I think the trick with bread is a long slow cool rise.

On Oct 31, 2008, at 5:04 PM, Lisa K.V. Perry wrote:

On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 12:19 PM, <paxamicus AT earthlink.net> wrote:

Did you try it?

I made the mistake a while back of buying a Lodge enameled cast iron
dutch oven. It was a waste of money, but before I turn it into
something else, like a lamb feeder, I'm going to try this no-knead 18
hour rise recipe in it.
I cannot find my load shaped plain old cast iron oven anywhere.

We ended up making a pan of peanut butter bar cookies, so baked the loaf of
bread at the same time.

A question though, probably a stupid one. My bread had risen (twice) and
looked like it would be a beautiful loaf. I put it in the oven where it fell
an inch or so while baking. It didn't completely cave in, but what's the
problem? I have fresh yeast. This has happened with each loaf of bread I've
made. Is it the movement from getting it into the oven?

lkvp