homestead - Re: [Homestead] Bull riders and Wranglers question

  • From: Shepperd <shepperd AT mail2.pvco.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Bull riders and Wranglers question
  • Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 16:35:09 -0500

I grew up wearing Wrangler, and still wear Wrangler or Lee. I wanted to wear Levis, but couldn't get the shrink to fit 501s long enough to fit after shrinkage. We could order 38" or 39" Levis, but they were several dollars higher than what one paid in the stores, which did not make any sense to a kid reared in a dirt-poor family.

At 04:19 PM 10/30/2008, Marie McHarry wrote:
On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 3:10 PM, Jerry W. Shepperd
<shepperd AT mail2.pvco.net> wrote:

>Don't know if khaki was the pants of preference, or if
> they had gotten into the habit of wearing left-over WWI pants, as
> Levis didn't start making pants until the 1920s. Some of the old
> pictures show cowboys wearing what look to be duckin pants. I'm
> guessing they wore what was available and what they could afford.

Levi 501s say "America's original jeans -- since 1873." I used to wear
501 when I was young and had a body of a different shape from what I
have at present, but now I much prefer Wranglers (the ladies version
with the elastic piece on each side). In the winter I often wear
sweats because they are most comfortable under the Carhart bibs.

Marie