homestead - Re: [Homestead] Bull riders and Wranglers question

  • From: "Jerry W. Shepperd" <shepperd AT mail2.pvco.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Bull riders and Wranglers question
  • Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 15:10:50 -0500

According to the company's advertising materials, Blue Bell, who owned Wrangler at the time, designed the Cowboy Wrangler in consultation with rodeo cowboys in the 1940s, who wanted pants that would be tough, but would not bind in the crotch and knees. However, my Grandfather, who was an old-time cowboy, wore nothing but Levis as far back as I can remember. Many of his friends, of the same age, wore khakis. Don't know if khaki was the pants of preference, or if they had gotten into the habit of wearing left-over WWI pants, as Levis didn't start making pants until the 1920s. Some of the old pictures show cowboys wearing what look to be duckin pants. I'm guessing they wore what was available and what they could afford.

Jerry Shepperd