homestead - Re: [Homestead] Am I being detained? This is great

  • From: <eureka AT hctc.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Am I being detained? This is great
  • Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 15:28:36 -0600

I go through this all the time living so close to the border. Border patrol is one of the better paying jobs around here, as they are frequently killed by drug smugglers. A biologist friend of mine was in the wrong place at the wrong time--down testing the river water and returned to find his truck bed full of marijuana and someone who did not speak English asking for payment. He decided to take a job elsewhere after this incident.

Some months upwards to 10,000 illegals are caught traveling through my area because of the wilderness and water. One canyon over people must leave their houses unlocked or they will break the windows to get food. Some of them now carry weapons. Imagine coming home to an empty pantry after all your hard work. Some people just leave bottled water and canned goods in boxes by their front gates in hopes their houses don't get damaged. Every once in a while a local gets caught transporting them and does time.

This area was once a big Mohair producer, but the bottom fell out when they could no longer hire the illegals to do the shearing. There are warehouses full of bales of the stuff.

I don't know how I feel about immigration, I see both sides, but I do know the inconveniences of both the system and the problem.

--Sage

On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 16:07:27 -0400