homestead - Re: [Homestead] was music, now farming, agricultural, other misc.

  • From: bob ford <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] was music, now farming, agricultural, other misc.
  • Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2008 11:48:46 -0700 (PDT)

Well every young person has to follow their own star, but I believe the days
of a ,even, advanced degrees necessarily providing above-average security are
dwindling. Somebody's kids are going to have to be farmers. We don't all
have to hire a lawyer (yet). We do all have to eat.

I don't know the gender or age of your children (and it isn't my business),
but teenagers can be too easily influenced by media, and media distorts
realty and even flat-out lies (As you well know).

My brother's kids don't listen to anything I tell them (over the phone).
They simply follow the path that their friends follow, that the media has
encouraged.

Our young people now are all so terribly conformist in their pretentions of
non-conformity. Maybe that is the way it always was, and I was too busy
doing my own thing to get earrings or spiked hair or tattoes (not that there
is anything wrong with that, you probably have eighteen of each; now that
I've made that comment).

I remember when my two baby brothers got tattoes of their girlfriends
names. My daddy almost exploded, and, of course, neither of them even lives
in the same state with the girls, today.

I can't do like James and buy tons of grain, now, with a strong dollar and
weak commodity prices. 'would cost too much to store and eventually
transport. What I have considered , though, other than trying to trade a
little in commodity etfs; is buying quantities of good quality seed, while
prices are low, and the dollar is strong. Is that possible? Will seed keep
well? Where would you buy the best quality seed, that are not in the little
"gurney" packages?

Maybe I'm being ridiculous ......bobford