homestead - Re: [Homestead] was music, now farming, agricultural, other misc.

  • From: Lynn Wigglesworth <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] was music, now farming, agricultural, other misc.
  • Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2008 16:12:44 -0400

bob ford wrote:
> I believe everything you wrote.. But, it makes no sense. I am willing to
> pay good money for fresh produce and better meats. I think most people
> are. Why is farming not profitable?

There's a world of difference between commodity farming and direct-sales
farming. There are areas of the country where a small direct-sales farm
can earn a family a living...not a lot, but a simple life, if they have
no debt.

In this area, people aren't willing to pay more for fresh produce. I ran
a Farmers' Market, and most people came looking for a bargain. We were
right across the street from the supermarket, and everyone knew the
vegetable prices. We couldn't get a cent more than supermarket prices.
By the end of the first season, all my vendors dropped out because they
weren't making enough to warrant the $5/week vendor fee. What I don't
understand is how factory farm in California can afford to ship a tomato
across the country and sell it for less than I can sell mine.

The same is true of eggs...if the supermarket has an $.89/dozen special
on eggs, I was expected to sell my free-range eggs for that, also. The
only people who buy my meat are ones who understand how it is
better...very few people, but I have a small operation and don't need
many meat customers (most buy half or quarter cows).

Lynn Wigglesworth

When your life is on the go—take your life with you.
http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/115298558/direct/01/