homestead - Re: [Homestead] was music, now farming, agricultural, other misc.

  • From: Lynn Wigglesworth <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] was music, now farming, agricultural, other misc.
  • Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2008 15:29:20 -0400

My kids have spent most of their lives watching me try to make a living
from the farm. They see the hard work, they know that we have no money.
I don't think it's unreasonable that they'd want a profession that would
bring a livable wage. Kids here don't aspire to be lawyers; they mostly
graduate high school (or not) and get whatever job comes along. Many
come from farms, but farming isn't even an option for them. Farmers
can't afford to pay much for help (in PA, farmers can and do pay below
minimum wage for help), and no one right out of school could afford
their own farm. I don't know a single farmer that doesn't have off-farm
income.

Very few people are in a position to buy tons of grain and store it. If
next year brings a good crop, your corn is worth less than you paid for
it. And you can't hold it forever. I think that in cold storage, very
dry corn can be held for several years. In normal storage, it's a year
or less. That's why food isn't treated like a normal commodity. It's
perishable. It makes so much more sense to go with the cycle of food; a
food is only valuable until next year's crop comes in. You store what
you can use or sell until next year. You make a little this year, lose a
little next year. That's why it's never a 'get rich quick' scheme.

I have a friend who had a business buying (garden) seed in bulk and
repackaging it. It was a lot of work, and it's not like you can put seed
in a closet until it's worth more. Most seed is only good (for practical
sales purposes) for one year. Most people won't buy seed that's more
than a year old, even though most will germinate.

Lynn Wigglesworth