homestead - [Homestead] Sifting dirt

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: Homestead List <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Sifting dirt
  • Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 15:29:44 -0400

One of my recent projects is reworking and cleaning up a large fire pit area that we use to burn things in that we don't want to haul to the dump, like furniture that has seen better days, etc. Since we've lived here, the ring of rocks has been about 10 ft in diameter, and was obviously used by owners predating us, possibly all the way back to the 1960's when the house was built. While we have used the area to roast wienies and marshmallows and have good autumn bonfires, I want to clean up the spot and make it more child friendly for JRose. With that purpose in mind, two days ago, I began digging out the mound of ashes inside the ring, sifting the dirt/ash, going through it with a magnet, and then moving the dirt/ash to fill various holes around the property. I am taking a break as I am half done with the pit. The ash mound was a foot high above ground, and I'm digging down to the clay layer about 6" below grade. Loads of fun.
When I finish cleaning the soil, I'll dig out a large fire pit, but I haven't decided how large to make the new ring. I'm thinking 6 ft in diameter..big enough for a good bonfire with lots of friends hanging around, but smaller and more intimate than what we have now. I will use some old broken firebrick and regular bricks in the hole to line it, and I will edge the top with fieldstone. I'm undecided on how deep to make the pit, too. Is two feet below grade sufficient? Does it matter?

Bev
--
“Fear is the path to the Dark Side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda