homestead - Re: [Homestead] Apple harvest

  • From: rayzentz AT aim.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Apple harvest
  • Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 17:57:45 -0400

I really have no idea how much that compares to what others can. I know that my mother, when us kids were all still at home, would can anywhere between 1500 to 2500 quarts of "stuff" per season, not to mention the dehydrated stuff (my dad built her a Dehydrator that would hold 15 3'x3' trays). We had what I would call a Huge garden, but I have seen bigger ones. My dad was doing what I have seen called "square foot" gardening long before I'd ever heard of it.

I remember mom having 2 copper boilers, the oblong ones, going on our stove at the same time, pretty much 24/7.

'Course, my mom has probably worked herself to death. She is 65, and looks like she's 80..., an old 80. I'll be very surprised if she sees 70. My folks were visiting a sister to the north of us, so we drove up (through the first snow storm of the season... a 3 hour drive that took 6) to see them. I was actually shocked how peaked she looked since last year.

At any rate, our food "room" took up a full third of our basement (we lived in a 4000 sq foot home). I have been invited into storage rooms here in utah, and have learned not to show amusement when the people brag at how hard they work, and they have three or four shelves of canned goods...

I have made no effort to keep up with my mother. No way I could. I am glad, however, that she taught me how.

So, just curiosity on my part. How many "quarts" do all y'all put up in a typical season?

Ray