homestead - Re: [Homestead] Apple harvest

  • From: paxamicus AT earthlink.net
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Apple harvest
  • Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 17:55:07 -0400

I'm a little slow on this but here is the recipe for the apple pumpkin bread, it's the yummiest thing I've ever made. It transported me right back to my grandmother's kitchen. I urge you strenuously to use whole cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg and grind them yourself. It makes such a huge difference.

For Topping:

1 T flour
5 T sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1T unsalted butter

Blend all ingredients together until it's a coarse meal and set aside.

For Bread:

3 c. flour
3/4 tsp salt
2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cloves
1 lb. mashed smooth pumpkin (and right here is why I love my Cuisinart)
3/4 olive oil
2 1/4 c sugar
4 large beaten eggs
2 c finely chopped apples

Mix together all the dry ingredients until blended. Whisk together all the wet ingredients (including pumpkin but not the apples) until they are well blended too. Add dry ingredients to the wet and blend till combined. Fold in apples.

Divide batter between two buttered loaf pans. If you aren't worried about your sugar intake, you can butter and sugar the pans, it gives you a nice crunch on the bottom and sides. Sprinkle topping on. Bake in a pre-heated 350 cooker for about 60 minutes, until a tester knife comes out clean. It's wet dough, so it can take a while. If it's getting too brown, you can tent it, but tent it loosely so it doesn't end up steaming itself. Then you'd just get pumpkin apple puddle. Cool in pans on rack till cool to touch, then turn out and continue to let cool, if you can. You might need a stick to beat your family back.

This makes two BIG loaves, but it freezes well. If you freeze it, let it thaw on your counter, nuking it makes the texture icky. (That there is a technical term. ; p )

We picked the last of our apples yesterday, so I need to make some more of this this week. Yum yum yum.

PS...I use unbleached ap flour. Haven't tried it with whole wheat. If anybody does, I'd love to know how it works for you.

Celia