homestead - Re: [Homestead] City farming - urban farm

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] City farming - urban farm
  • Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2008 19:14:39 -0400

It is about my download speed. I connect via dialup, but only at 26kbps maximum because of the old phone lines and the distance from the switching office. My average download speed is about 18KILObytes per second. You guys by comparison, are in the hundreds if not thousands or higher. I think the average broadband speed is higher than 2 MEGAbytes per second. At that rate, a page that loads in a blink for you takes minutes for me, actually, what you get in one second, I get in 2 or 3 minutes,. A 15 second news clip can take 30 minutes, etc. Even emails with pictures attached is tough for me. So, it is not just youtube, it is almost all non-text pages and stuff. That is why I always appreciate you guys looking at stuff for me. I'm not just being lazy, I swear! My only other internet alternative is satellite, which would be over $65/month, a price I can't afford. No cable or DSL available here.

Bev

Jeanne Driese wrote:
On dial up videos are almost as long to download as youtube!

This video is of the guy Gene mnetioned the other day (Maccarthur
award winner). I know bev said she can't watch youtube. This is not
youtube.

--
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: 'I'm from
the government and I'm here to help.'" Ronald Reagan