homestead - Re: [Homestead] butterflies & Okra, now pumpkin races

  • From: <eureka AT hctc.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] butterflies & Okra, now pumpkin races
  • Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2008 12:55:10 -0500

Hope someone will direct us to some online pictures of this. How widespread is this 'sport' practiced?

Here, where rain is almost non-existant (although we are having some today) it's hard to get a pumpkin to grow larger than one's head even with irrigation. Not only can I not imagine growing a pumkin this large, I certainly can't imagine paddling one down our rocky rapids. I'm sure it makes for some great times!

--Sage

Yep. Annual event here in the williwogs. Cut the top off, usually with a chain saw but the pumpkins are tender this year on account of so much rain, so we'll use the SawzAll on ours. Peter taped ours yesterday and is figuring about 1400 pounds---that's if it doesn't explode before morning. I heard at noon today that my neighbor Sam's pumpkin exploded while they were milking, startled everybody. Probably half or so will explode before they are used, but if it doesn't: Hollow it out with a hoe and a coal hod, and carefully set it in the Passagasswaukeag River about a quarter mile above the Bay, 'man' it with 2 people(hopefully skinny) with shovels for paddles, at least one dog (required), put up your flag, wait for the pistol, and go for the rapids. This is considered an adult activity, mind you; kids have their own races. Some years none of them make it to the finish line (the footbridge from Belfast to East Belfast). Hardest part is getting the pumpkin parts out of the river afterward.
All this, of course, follows the bed races, held in September.

Ya use whatcha got.

Susan Jane