homestead - Re: [Homestead] meat from walmart

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] meat from walmart
  • Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2008 10:28:05 EDT

> >Most "meat" at Wal-Mart is injected with a solution to add weight.
> When it's frozen and then defrosted, it effects the texture.

Indeed. It is a solution of sodium phosphate and/or potassium phosphate that
is added to meat. The notion is to add weight (by making the meat water
logged) and as a preservative.

The phosphate is not only harmless, it's nutritional, it's what your bones
are made of. BUT it's like a lot of commercial yogurt. Reading the label
shows
that a major ingredient of most of them is gelatin. Nothing wrong with
gelatin, it's good food too, but I don't want to pay yogurt prices for jello.
Like
that, the potassium phosphate isn't going to do you any harm, and if it is
lacking in your food it's a good thing, but who wants to pay meat prices for
phosphate and water?? <BR><BR><BR>**************<BR> </HTML>