homestead - [Homestead] Potato question

  • From: "Lisa K.V. Perry" <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Potato question
  • Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2008 12:32:53 -0400

I have not dug up the potatoes yet and thanks to a prior discussion on list,
had decided to leave them in the ground a while.

Ran into an acquaintance in town yesterday, we compared gardens. She
mentioned that a few years ago she didn't get all the potatoes out of the
ground. Come spring those potatoes that were inadvertently left to
overwinter sprouted into new plants. Ever since, she's always left a portion
of the potatoes in the ground to make the next year's crop. She also plants
some new seed potatoes but also relies on those left from the previous
garden season.

Have any of you done this on purpose or by happenstance, and your results?

Lisa