homestead - Re: [Homestead] Potato question

  • From: Lynn Wigglesworth <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Potato question
  • Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2008 13:07:43 -0400

Lisa K.V. Perry wrote:

> Have any of you done this on purpose or by happenstance, and your results?

I did, this year. I not only missed harvesting a few potatoes last fall,
but I rototilled the bed and apparently chopped up the remaining
potatoes. I got 5 or 6 plants growing in a 10' area. Once I noticed them
(they are in the middle of a bed of sweet corn), I hilled them. They
co-existed nicely with the corn. I've only dug a few potatoes from
around the edge of the bed, but they are nice--large with no disease or
anything. It worked out well because the potatoes didn't need much care
while the corn was growing, and now that it's time to harvest the
potatoes, the corn is done.

I also have a lot of kale in the same large bed that self-seeded (or
maybe it's the original plants) that got rototilled and it's looking
great. Before I rototilled, I also dug up a lot of garlic that I'd
missed harvesting. I ate some and replanted some in this year's garlic bed.

The perennial nature of this bed is giving me ideas, although it would
mean having the same plants in the same soil for many years.

Lynn Wigglesworth
Tioga County, PA