homestead - Re: [Homestead] Potato question

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Potato question
  • Date: Sun, 05 Oct 2008 13:37:58 -0400

I do it all the time...with all kinds of potatoes. Sometimes it is a surprise what I dig up..it's like, oh, yukon gold, when did I plant that?..lol
I guess the first time it just happened, was luck, or neglect-not getting them all..now, I intentionally let some potatoes sprout, intentionally slice a larger chunk out while peeling, and intentionally sort out those peelings into a place that I think it might likely take off, like at the edge of a compost pile or in the leaves, humus, dirt of an old tire, etc. With mulch, which potatoes need anyway, they easily survive my zone 7 winters-down to single digits.

Lisa K.V. Perry wrote:
I have not dug up the potatoes yet and thanks to a prior discussion on list,
had decided to leave them in the ground a while.

Ran into an acquaintance in town yesterday, we compared gardens. She
mentioned that a few years ago she didn't get all the potatoes out of the
ground. Come spring those potatoes that were inadvertently left to
overwinter sprouted into new plants. Ever since, she's always left a portion
of the potatoes in the ground to make the next year's crop. She also plants
some new seed potatoes but also relies on those left from the previous
garden season.

Have any of you done this on purpose or by happenstance, and your results?

Lisa