homestead - [Homestead] Canning chicken and other

  • From: SJC <indexer AT localnet.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Canning chicken and other
  • Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2008 00:29:40 -0400

For just about any canning question: http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/

For meats, in particular: http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can5_meat.html

This is an extension co-op site out of UGeorgia that has the 'official line" (USDA procedures, times, etc) but when it comes to meats, you don't want to screw it up; it's expensive and the health stakes are high.

Having said all that, when I was a kid we waterbathed chicken on a wood stove. My uncle raised broilers and if they weren't going at a good price when they reached the right weight we canned the blasted things for church (horse/buggy group) and for disaster feeds (they were/are still big on going off to help after tornadoes, hurricanes and feed hundreds of workers for weeks). We got 20,000 of them at a time, so if you figure maybe losing 1000 of them, that leaves 19,000 to can......we did that twice. To this day I cannot stomach canned chicken, for some reason.

Susan Jane, in Maine