homestead - Re: [Homestead] Fw: Surviving in a post EMP world

  • From: "Don Bowen" <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: <akkabhomestead AT yahoo.com>, <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Fw: Surviving in a post EMP world
  • Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 14:35:45 -0500

There are lots of things to worry about in this world but this should be
near the bottom of the list. If such an event were to occur, there would be
many other problems beside your car not starting.

I was an electronics engineer in embedded systems and worked on some rad
hardened projects. What are known as Single Event Upsets are easy to
predict and prepare for. If the EMP came from a device that also emits high
energy particles, you will be past caring if you car starts or TV works.

I am also a radio amateur. The Ham press has delt with this issue several
times. An EMP is basically a very high energy lightning pulse. Methods of
preventing lightning damage also reduces EMP damage.

So worry about the increasing price of energy and the trickle down effects
of increasing prices overall.

Don Bowen KI6DIU