homestead - Re: [Homestead] Surviving in a post EMP world

  • From: Akka Homestead <akkabhomestead AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Homestead List <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Surviving in a post EMP world
  • Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 11:51:30 -0700 (PDT)

bob ford wrote:
> Akka, I did not receive your first message , to which you refer
> below.  Maybe the first message explained the EMP? (I know its the
> big pulse deal, but I was not aware that was another thing about
> which I should now worry <g> )

I still haven't gotten it either, and I show that I sent it almost 3 hours
ago now.  I'm resending it.

> Congrats on the 9 months tobacco free.  I also depend on meds, don't
> know how long the pump would tick without; but you are in a
> completely differently situation.  I don't remember you becoming so
> sick.  You must have posted about it during one of  my "sick of
> computers and internet" periods.

Well, as for the timeline, I went pretty gungho after moving here...I started
having a few more aches and pains in 2001..bad disks in my neck and a lot of
morning stiffness, etc. -General arthritis type stuff that is kinda painful,
but nothing that NSAIDS, Cox-2, Glucosamine, and a bit of exercise wouldn't
help(I turned 40 in 2001, so there ya go)....but definitely some kind of
switch flipped on in 2003.  I believe it was in early '03 that I got sick,
really quickly, and there was an immediate slowdown of activity. I had some
issues with heart valves as well, which I know now was also RA related.  DH
and the kids took over doing a lot of stuff, but after a year or so, they
burnt out and we downsized tremendously.    I did what I could, homestead
wise.  I wasn't off the computer during that time, but I may not have been
here during that time.  I know that when I was the sickest is when I was the
most frustrated, and I know that I did unsub from
homesteading lists because they made me sad that I couldn't be out
doing....I don't recall what list I was on when, other than I believe I was
gone from this one for a few years there.  I went to Farmer's list for a
while, then another list, then I came back here.

> I usually have a 3-month supply of everything med related , ahead.
> After that, I'll be dependent upon nature.  I take so many blasted
> meds that sometimes I think about doing that now.  I feel kind of
> silly with what I have compared to what you have.

No way...everyone has their problems.  Mine are no worse than yours.
Just be sure and rotate meds... I mark the syringes with a sharpie.

 One day I'll
> probably be walking across the yard and just keel over.  I don't want
> to think what end stage systemic RA (many, many years ffrom now) will
> be like for you.

Let me tell you now, there will be no long deterioration, no end stage RA for
me.  I will terminate it before that.  Just saying that since I have had my
glimpse at being dependent on others for everything.  It will be the same if
I get cancer if the odds aren't in my favor.

> What you are doing with Embrel is very forward thinking.  You might
> want to think of a non-fuel, non-electric type small fridge that
> could keep low enough temp for the two years.

Well, here in Appalachia there are plenty of Springs..a springhouse, cold
water, will suffice to keep meds chilly.  Also, my old well is just capped
off.  Worst comes to worst, I lower the meds on a rope down to that cold
zone. 8 inch pipe.

> For you, and anyone else, really.  Also consider, if you have a good
> relationship with doc, getting a bottle of opiates.  Whether dental
> or medical mishap, pain, as you well know, is horrid.  A bottle of
> percs carefully hidden from children, could be a blessing, if bad
> tooth, broken arm, etc.  ....bobford

Yes, I have done that..  Also, and I will post this without further comment,
because we all know that animal medicines aren't as pure as meds produced for
human use, but, got fish? ;)
http://www.bullwrinkle.com/ShoppingPages/fish-antibiotics.htm

Akka B