homestead - Re: [Homestead] Powder Post Beetles

  • From: <eureka AT hctc.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Powder Post Beetles
  • Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 10:45:33 -0500

Roy,

I had powder post beetles in my kitchen cabinets a few years ago. They were crunching so loud I thought there must have been a beaver in the kitchen. It always happened around midnight, which is why they are sometimes called the deathwatch beetle. They were making clean holes I could pass a pencil through, and several boards looked like swiss cheese. There was no frass, however. The entomologist that identified them from the photo of the damage said there are other beetles that do similar damage only the holes are a different size and there is frass. If I can find the identification sheet I'll email it to you.

Fortunately my house is masonry, so I was mainly worried about the cabinets. The pest control people said I would have to remove the cabinets and take them to the big city for fumigation, which was impossible. I decided to set out boric acid and just fill the holes with white putty as soon as they appeared. Never saw the actual critter. Haven't had an outbreak since, and probably won't for another 20 years which is their incubation period.

--Sage

On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 21:34:15 -0400