homestead - Re: [Homestead] Preparing your homestead

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <akkabhomestead AT yahoo.com>, <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Preparing your homestead
  • Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2008 00:18:40 -0800

You do NOT need a pressurer canner to make jams! In fact, you'll pretty much ruin them doing that. Jams, jellies, preserves, pickles and high acid foods can be done in BWB, steam canner or pasteurized (pickles).

Low acid foods (meats, veggies) need to be pressure canned.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Akka Homestead" <akkabhomestead AT yahoo.com>

It sounds kind of luxurious, but we spent my severance pay on a new gas
grill. Our old one was 20+ years old. I recently discovered that the
propane side burners(2) get hotter than my kitchen stove so I plan to
use the grill as my outdoor canning area. I can put the pressure canner
outside(I still haven't conquered that fear) and make jams and such
outside. We just replaced and purchased a few additional propane
tanks-what a rip-I think they change those regulator things/fill valves
or whatever they are every year just to make you buy a new one.
This past weekend, as part of the woodshed project, we also build a
butchering worktable. I took a piece of galvanized metal, the kind that
encases a water tank, and covered the top of the table so that it can
easily be washed off and disinfected. The area is right next to the
meatpole and because it is covered it provides shelter in the rain or
snow when we are cutting up the deer.

This afternoon, we built me a tree stand for hunting.
Don't laugh. We have a climbing tree stand, but I would never use that
as I am deathly afraid of heights. I have always hunted from the
ground. Last year I had real trouble because we had allowed the grass
in the back pasture grow up so high that I could not see the far
woodline for the grass. This year, unless the Bushhog fairy visits, I
will have the same problem. So today, we took some scrap wood and built
a small platform in a redbud tree at the creek. It is only 5 ft off the
ground, but that is enough to allow me to see and get a good vantage
point on the entire pasture and woodline. I am totally psyched about
it. I am so psyched that I will probably go out there tomorrow and just
sit. It will be a wonderful "thinking place" as well. It is a great view.

We fixed the chicken tractor today as well. It has new 2x6 skids. I
think this one is heavier than the previous one, but I am not too
worried about it. I can move it with the mower or DH's truck if need
be. I was able to spin it around and move it a little, but I certainly
wouldn't want to muscle it very far. This will be used to raise meat
birds in the Spring.

Water will be a bit##, creek would be my source. I do have that
experience digging the well in El Salvador, might some in handy.

By necessity, we had to have a new well bored last year. It is over 100
feet deeper than the old well. So far, the water quality, while we
still have to use a filter for the sediment, has been great. I am
extremely grateful that I don't have water woes anymore. The new well
has been super- a huge weight off our shoulders.

Lights. I use oil lamps if the lights go out. If the oil is gone, I
guess I'd experiment in making candles from fat. Maybe just go to bed
with the chickens.

I use oil lamps and candles. I remelt old candle wax. Wicks are cheap
and I only make candles every other year or so.

My garden spot is solid. I need to stock up on heirloom seeds for the
things I'm not saving seed on.

I have enough seeds.

We have more food in the freezers and pantry than most people, but not
enough to my liking.
I need to buy more flour, coffee, tea, and other staples.
I really wish I had had a real garden this year, but I was working.

Other things I need to do:

Get the generator fixed. This is of the highest priority as without it
we lose the food in the freezers and water supply. We are awaiting
parts. I get very nervous just thinking about it.

I need to hunt. I need to make myself go out at every available
opportunity, even if I don't feel like cleaning it, we need it. Gun
season starts in 4 weeks. It is bow season now. I can't pull the bow
so that is out for me. My big decision this year is whether to hunt
with my familiar weapon, a .223, (yes, you can kill a deer with that),
or go with the new .308. I suppose it will depend on how I am
physically when it comes time to hunt as to which gun I grab. I need
more .308 practice, too.

I want a shotgun. I dare say that I need a shotgun. Snakes, turkeys,
people, etc.

I have two chipper shredders and neither one of them works. If I could
get one to work, not only could I clean up a few areas, but I could
easily fill my garden beds with the chips and mulch.

I have two additional garden beds to build out of the last remaining
amount of metal siding. Hopefully I can get that done this week. \

I need to work on fencing so that if I come across a good deal on sheep
and or goats, I can be ready. Deer have really damaged a lot of the
front pasture fence(7 acre pasture). There is supposed to be an
electric top wire, but it is down. Between horses and deer, the fence
needs some serious work. I need to buy another charger, too.

All that is off the top of my head. I got plenty to keep me busy, and
that doesn't count normal homestead type stuff like burning debris piles.

Akka