homestead - Re: [Homestead] Lying political candidates

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Lying political candidates
  • Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2008 18:45:15 -0800

Marie, did you actually read that list? Most of it is dancing around to try and make things said by Obama not a lie or not a lie by ommission. For example his speech on Selma. The whole thing was a fabrication. He's been desperately seeking a comparison to Kennedy from day one.

He said "Kennedys decided we're going to do an air lift . . . start brining young Africans over to this country and give them scholarships . . . This young man named Barack Obama got one of those tickets and came over to this country . . .because of what happened in Selma, Alabama . . ."

Fact: #1: The Kennedys never decided "we're going to do an air lift." #2: "This young man named Barack Obama" did NOT "get one of those tickets" and #3: What happened in Selma Alabama" had nothing to do with it.

#1: The Kennedys were asked to help get funding. They had their foundation give $100,000. In 1961! Barack Obama came to the U.S. in 1959! Selma didn't happen until 1965.

Now Snopes tried to dance around and somehow not make the facts facts. However, the FACTS speak for themselves.

The same is true for about half the list. "that no matching article may yet have been found in the pages of Life magazine does not mean that Obama saw no article." Come on, really, like if it existed someone wouldn't have found it by now? Poor baby, "he misremembered the the title of the magazine" Right but the problem with that one is that no one can find any other magazine that has that picture or that article.

And about half the others are "because he said so." or "he misspoke" or some other really lame excuse. Or the really good one. He never said he doesn't "have" lobbyists," he said he does not "employ" lobbyists. Very interesting that they only played word games with that one but don't bother to say whether or not he "has" or "employs" any lobbyists. Which he does, btw.

And how conveniently they ignore his interviews in the Chicago Tribune where he said the only difference between him and Bush, on the war, is "who is in a position to execute."

So, Snopes is not unbiased, nor are they terribly accurate. I stopped using them as a source about a decade ago when they claimed up and down that sponges wouldn't kill fish (they do) and that teflon doesn't kill pets (it does, small dogs, kittens and birds). For the correct information on those two I'd suggest a veterinarian. For other facts, I'd suggest doing your own homework. Well, unless you "choose" to read Snopes and stop there because ?

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>

I'm way behind in discussing all the stuff we discuss here, but I've
been able to read a lot of it. The discussions about lying have been
particularly annoying. The following is what I put together to people
who send me the latest fabrication of Obama's hidden Muslim faith
(etc, etc, etc). Since the morons who send this kind of stuff haven't
learned about BCCs, I can reply to most of their address book. I've
used this kind of public reply for years. I'm amazed that I still get
much of it.

*************************************

Before you send this kind of stuff out, at least check Snopes.

"50 Lies by Barack Obama":
http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/50lies.asp

"Barack Obama is not a US citizen":
http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/citizen.asp

"Obama is a Muslim": http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/muslim.asp

"Hugo Chavez is funding Obama's campaign":
http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/chavez.asp

If you visit Snopes and type "Obama" into the search box, you'll get
at least 66 hits. At least 60 of those hits indicate that the
scurrilous comments are FALSE. Lies. Untruths. If John McCain can't
win fair and square, it seems that he's willing to use unethical
(might one say "immoral"?) tactics.

Try the same thing with the word "McCain" and you'll get 37 hits.
Surprisingly (Really? Does this surprise you?) most of them are TRUE.

E-mail lists facts about Senator John McCain's wife, Cindy McCain.
(true)

Article recounts details of Senator John McCain's divorce from his
first wife, Carol. (true)

E-mail describes the military pedigrees of Senator John McCain's sons.
(true)

Article by Karl Rove describes Senator John McCain. (undetermined)

Does John McCain not qualify as a natural-born citizen of the U.S.
because he was born in Panama? (undetermined)

Did John McCain once say that 'the Democratic Party is a fine party,
and I have no problems with it.' (true)

Did John McCain say he would define the income level that divides the
middle class from the rich as $5 million? (true)

The difference is that most of the reports circulating about John
McCain are true while most of the reports circulating about Barack
Obama are false.

Does this tell you anything?