homestead - Re: [Homestead] Back yard chickens website

  • From: Rob <becida AT comcast.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Back yard chickens website
  • Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2008 15:16:34 -0700

At 9/21/2008 02:07 PM,April Frazier wrote:

We used to have a rooster and he used to go after both my husband and my daughter. He would come up and eyeball me especially when I'd pick up one of the girls and they would squawk some. Then I'd let the chick go and head after him, and he would run! He never took to all the "Mamma love" I dished out.

I stopped hubby from shooting him after he got our little girl because even though the attacked her, she loved him. Then a few weeks later, he got taken by a fox.

April

In Minnesota I bought my first batch of straight run Rhode Island Reds from a place (just once). At least 3/4 of those were roosters. I looked out back one day and saw a rooster chasing my 4 yr old & she was scared. It took me 5 min to catch that rooster, we ate him a couple of days later. My daughter was happy.
After that I thinned out the flock and went shopping for some more hens.

Rob
becida AT comcast.net