homestead - Re: [Homestead] Back yard chickens website

  • From: Bunjov AT aol.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Back yard chickens website
  • Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2008 12:24:47 EDT

The only two hens I ever had - Lucy and Ethel - lived with me in a 16'
travel trailer in back of my mom's house after the Northridge quake when my
apartment building went down. They came free gratis - at my request - along
with a
very beautiful but foul-tempered rooster.

My mom had passed away several years before, and I - prepubescent
foolishness - had developed such a hatred for that house...hence living in
the travel
trailer.

I used to call my daughter and my sister, inside the house, to come and run
interference for me so I could make it safely from the trailer to the house,
as the minute I set foot outside the trailer, the rooster would make a
beeline
for my ankles. If nobody was home, I would try to sneak out, cast iron
skillet in one hand and small baseball bat in the other. He never picked (or
pecked) on anybody but me. I think he was jealous of my fondness for his
ladies.

Once I was in the house (where the office was), Lucy and Ethel would each
lay a fresh egg on the twin beds in the trailer. They came and went, like the

cats - and with the cats - and my sister and daughter were in a constant
state
of 'upset' because I would leave doors open for them and they all came and
went at will.

Sandy
Mid-Mojave
Missing my speckled hens

In a message dated 9/21/2008 6:22:38 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,