homestead - Re: [Homestead] Palin's college years

  • From: Akka Homestead <akkabhomestead AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Homestead List <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Palin's college years
  • Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2008 22:15:34 -0700 (PDT)

bob ford wrote:
> Bill Clinton , for all of his narcissistic , anti-social, tendencies,
>  is a good politician.

Watch "Colors" if you haven't already.
Anti-social?  Are we talking about the same Bill Clinton, the "I did not
have sex with that woman" guy, that despite the fact that he was more
popular than W, was almost impeached?  That Bill Clinton?  I know we are
being wistful about the times before Bush, but let's not go too far
there, Bob. :)

This morning , he was on television and said
> that people who belittle and underestimate Palin are making a stupid
>  political mistake.  He said, to the effect, that she knew how to
> connect with people in a way, that can't be over appreciated and that
>  she didn't get to where she has gotten, in such a short period of
> time, by being stupid.

> To: akkabhomestead AT yahoo.com; homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org Sent:
> Friday, September 19, 2008 6:26:13 PM Subject: Re: [Homestead]
>
>> Make of it what you will.
> That's a wild ride!

And yeah, it is a wild ride.
I don't know what to think about Palin, really.  Part of me likes her,
she is charismatic and she definitely has spunk..you gotta like a woman
that can gut a moose...she's a kindred spirit in that regard, but the
thing I am really impressed with is her 80% approval rating.  I've never
heard anyone have a rating that high.
Politician or not, to have 80% of people like you and think you are
doing a good job is amazing.  So, she's got something, for sure.
Apparently, both she and Obama have tapped into the cosmic force that is
aligned with making folks like them.
The Bridge to Nowhere thing doesn't bother me that much.  It's the same
waffle served up by every politician in the country.  Troopergate, well,
I'm pretty sure that she abused the power of her position.  I personally
think she did it for good cause.  I've never heard anything good about
the brother in law.  She wanted him gone, after all, he allegedly
threatened her and her father.  When the chief only suspended him, that
wasn't enough.  IMO, the suspension smacked of cronyism.  I saw the
laundry list of alleged offenses and any of them would be enough for
immediate termination in my neck of the woods.  The chief protected his
brother in blue for better or worse.  I used to work for a PD and it is
just as political as any other entity.  I'm sure that did not set well
with Palin, and family matters aside, I think she acted and made the
chief of police part of her clean up corruption campaign.  I believe
that if she came out, spun it that way, and took a stand behind her
actions now, that this Troopergate thing would be old news.  Sometimes
the best defense is a good offense.  In that diagram on the political
spin site, she came in second to Obama on her ability to spin things, so
why she doesn't do it is beyond me.  The fact that she does not stand up
and say, yeah, I did it-It needed to be done   bothers me and causes me
to disrespect her.  It makes me doubt her sincerity.
I don't mean to minimalize the seriousness of the abuse of power
allegation with my comments.  I definitely think she needs some
consequences, because justified or not, there are always consequences
for such.  The other abuse of power issue that I heard about is the
library book censorship issue.  I've read a lot of articles on this
issue and these, I think, are probably close to the truth of the matter.
http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/story?id=5766173&page=1
http://www.adn.com/sarahpalin/story/510219.html
It sounds like she kind of narrowly escaped a career ending faux-pas.
If this is strike 1, and Troopergate is Strike 2...well, I really don't
want Strike 3 to happen if she is Vice President or God forbid,
President.  Abuse of power, for whatever reason, is very serious.
Having relatively little political experience with two possible
incidents in a 10 year period is a bit disturbing to me.  It is my
belief that power corrupts, and Sarah Palin has recently gained more
power than probably even she ever thought she would have.

Akka B