homestead - Re: [Homestead] Rare Vijing-era shield found...

  • From: Bunjov AT aol.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Rare Vijing-era shield found...
  • Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2008 01:13:22 EDT

I love the lyrics! Whoever wrote them seems to have had their hadron
straight <g>

I'll tell ya something, though -

When I moved in here last December, the lower "level" (a 3" step up/down)
was carpeted in old - but still nice - area rugs with a Southwestern motif
that
I really liked. The upper level, where the bedroom and the office are, was
covered with large green carpet squares, the kind you cut to fit. It looked
okay.

Then came the flood of '08. This being such an old place - the under-sink
cabinet in the kitchen was so nasty that I just put a hook-and-eye on it so
the
cats would get in there, and then forgot about it.

One night last March - since I usually only sleep 1-1/2 to 2 hrs at a
stretch, I awoke and headed for the kitchen, only to find myself ankle deep
in
water. A pipe had burst under the sink...where the faucet had a chronic leak.

There was no water turn-off valve, and I didn't know where the outside
shut-off
was. Landlord was away - no way to reach him.

To make a long story longer, I ended up with a flashlight in my teeth,
punching a hole in the front door screen, and hooking up my garden hose to
the
faucet to send the water outside before it got to the 'real' furniture and
my
books - oh my gosh - piled all over, some on the floor.

My point being, and to get back on subject, I had to spend the next days
taking up the area rugs, and the green carpet tiles, and discovered that -
underneath - was a plank floor - no underlayment, no plywood - just 2x8's (or
so)
with some pretty healthy knotholes where you can look right down to the
ground underneath the bungalow.

I kinda liked that. I just don't walk around without shoes in, and I keep an
eye on the cats (they tell me when something is imminently arriving into the
living room from below). I figure I'm in an excellent place for Borrowers and
Little People. Just gotta keep an eye on the cats and teach them to treat
Little People like big ones.

Sometimes I see the cats, in the middle of the night, gathered in a circle
around one or another of the knotholes, on their stomachs, ears at attention
but other wise calm and with folded-in paws, and there they remain - for
long,
long periods of time. I have gone outside with a flashlight, and looked
underneath the bungalow, and see nothing - and, when I come back inside,
that cats
haven't budged.

I finally give up and go back to bed, and have decided to buy all-cotton
socks from now on.

Sandy
Mid-Mojave

In a message dated 9/19/2008 9:21:41 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,