homestead - Re: [Homestead] Enjoy the quiet while it lasts...

  • From: Bunjov AT aol.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Enjoy the quiet while it lasts...
  • Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 06:40:15 EDT

I am hesitant to post a reply to this, as I haven't followed this thread,
and have many, many posts backed up that I haven't even read yet.

Thirty years ago, when I left my husband, it was partly because I had tried
for a long, long time to establish my own business. It was just at the
beginning of the Women's Liberation movement (which he abhorred - I think it
frightened him), and I was turned down by every financial institution
because they
all tied me to my husband, and he was having none of it.

I ended up going from the San Fernando Valley, to Tucson, to St. Louis,
where i fell in with a group of black musicians, and wrote lyrics for them
and we
traveled...until I was not allowed to accompany the group for a 'gig' in
Mississippi - no white girls allowed to travel with black men.

The group and I had wanted to open a restaurant/cocktail lounge where they
could play and I could cook (watch out, Emeril!) and we finally found a
place
across the river in East St. Louis (scary!) - a three-story building that
would have served as a restaurant on the ground floor, office and living
quarters on the second floor, and storage on the top floor.

Voila! The SBA loan came through - with the sudden change in..."equality" -
simply because they were black and I am a woman.

Due to our individual domestic situations, we had to give it up before we
even started...all of them returning to their own lives and me returning to
my
children in California.

Sandy
Mid-Mojave

In a message dated 9/15/2008 11:39:41 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,