homestead - Re: [Homestead] Homestead bloggin'

  • From: Akka Homestead <akkabhomestead AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Homestead bloggin'
  • Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 14:26:13 -0700 (PDT)

Saw my very special little grandbaby on Friday and Saturday...what a joy
she is. How did I ever live without her? She's 9 months old this week.

Does she have any of your Leif Errickson look about her ?

*****JRose does have blond hair, but it will be dark. She's going to be
tall, and she seems to like animals and nature. DD, a blond, Would be 1/4
Finnish and 1/4 Swedish from me an DH. Her DH is 1/2 Norwegian, so JRose has
a high percentage of Scandi blood in her. My little Viking.<g>

I also plan to move 5 azaleas to a new bed where they will receive more
sun. With all the rain lately, I suspect I'll be mowing again by the end
of the week.

Where you live, Azaleas should be so thick rooted and dug in that this could
be
your biggest job,,,ugg...

*****They are only about 5 years old. I planted them-one gallon size- in
front of the deck, but they don't get enough sun or winter wind protection.
By moving them, I hope to improve both. I had 7 azaleas, but dogs took out
the ones on the ends-you know how they are with the leg hiking thing. The
new planting bed is a round bed, slightly raised next to a tree. The
chickens get in that bed, but not the dogs.

I really want to start my next big project, a tire tread edging for the
garden area and a few other places, but I doubt I'll get to that this

This sounds like a great idea, one suggestion in that vein.  If you ever see a
'office setting'  type business that is going out of business and
selling the furnishings, sometimes you can find very thick translucensent
office
mats.  They come in many different sizes and can be cut down with a draw knife
of some sort.  It wouldn't last as long as tires, but if you could find
some, it would be a lot easier to cut enough to fit your space.  They usually
are at giveaway prices, used.

****Sounds like a good idea for the garden, too, lay the mats down to thwart
weeds. Car mats would probably be good at that, too. Thanks.

Out here, people run ads on Craigslist , offering to buy fresh fruit and
vegetables.....bf

*****My plans for the week got sidetracked today, as usual. My best friend
came over and we decided to glean another neighbor's garden. He had invited
her to pick beans, so we went down there to brave the wilds of his garden.
It was almost so weedy with grass and morning glories that it was scary
picking. There were like 6 40 foot rows of pole beans. We each picked a 5
gallon bucket full and could have picked more. I am stringing and snapping
beans and doing email all at once. :)

Since I was working this year, I did not plant beans this year, and now with
the economy tanking and I am still unemployed(thankfully, although I
shouldn't be), I am very grateful to get the beans. My friend also cleaned
out her freezer to make room for the fresh venison going in, so I traded
about 10 pounds of pork products for 30 pounds of venison. She did not want
any more, so I think that was a great trade. I did not have any deer meat in
the freezer, but now I have some cubed steaks and ground meat and other
goodies. Anyway, as I was picking beans, I thought about all those folks in
town who don't have gardens to glean, all the homeless folks who don't have
land to garden, and how horrible the times to come might be. I feel very
fortunate to live in an enclave where people help each other out and all have
the same goal of putting food by. I am very fortunate.

Akka