homestead - Re: [Homestead] Preserving Chiles

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Preserving Chiles
  • Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2008 20:39:24 EDT

> >Does anyone make a good chile sauce? I tried one a couple of years and
> it was yuck!

Extra jalapenos?? I urge you to become 'Maestro del Humo' (Master of the
Smoke) and try some homemade Chipotle. Food of the gods, that stuff!

Just as the Jalapenos begin to blush to that dark mahogany color before
turning red (but sill mostly green), perpare a bed of hardwood coals and put
on
some hickory or maple chips (green, sappy) if you can't get mesquite in that
condition (don't use dry chips). Put the whole peppers on the grill and
cover
them ... like a smoker only you need lots more heat. Turn the peppers once
or
twice until they blister and char all over. Let them cool and rub off the
charred skin and remove the seeds (or not).

Then you can freeze it or else add some vinegar and salt and can it.

Warning!! There's no going back after this. </HTML>