homestead - Re: [Homestead] touche on running mates and the origin of uppity

  • From: "Robert Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] touche on running mates and the origin of uppity
  • Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2008 17:32:24 -0400

> On a separate note, I was surprised yesterday to hear people, mostly
> blacks, say that the word uppity applied to them. They apparently
> believed that it was a derogatory term to a black person who 'advanced
> out of their station in life', or some such crap.

Aren't you in Georgia? Uppity commonly applies to blacks (and white
trash) that are not staying "in their place". It also can be used do
describe anyone that is not "staying in their place".

> When did 'uppity', a word I have used all my life
> to describe people who flaunt money and/or their upbringing(like the
> whole debutant thing), become a racial slur? Was this idea imported from
> another part of the country?

I've never thought of uppity as a racist word. Frankly, words only
have the power that people give to them and I think out society is
crazed with sorting out words they don't like. Better to look for
changing actions and attitudes.

> My take is that Westmoreland knew, of course, that Barack had been
> labeled elitist a few months ago and as a good Republican wanted to get
> a few jabs in. Instead of going for elitist or snob, he chose uppity,
> because of it's more comical edge and tone. It is less rude than calling
> someone a snob, but doesn't give the respectful tone that Elitist would
> carry. It definitely was derogatory, but IMO, it was not racist.

I sure would know better than to use the word "uppity" to describe any
black person (or trash for that matter). Using that word to describe
people went out with the marches in the 60s.

Rob - Va