homestead - Re: [Homestead] Total disbelief (was More Obama stuff, sorry)

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Total disbelief (was More Obama stuff, sorry)
  • Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 05:05:25 -0500

On Aug 28, 2008, at 10:37 PM, Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:

He gets it. He is right. (On energy). But every single policy he has
proposed is based on the notion that energy will be more or less business as usual
for the foreseeable future. This is why I do not expect great things from him.

The social programs, medical programs, greening programs and all the other
social programs in his are based firmly on the paradigm that we will all still
be driving around in cars in the near future about as cheaply as we drive
today.

Any politician who tells Americans that they must even partially relinquish their car use has no chance of being elected. If a politician has the most sensible plan in the world, he will therefore have zero chance for implementation.

A nation of debtors will not tolerate being told they must save. A nation of the obese will not tolerate a politician telling them to eat less. A nation awash in entertainment toys will not tolerate being told they must play less. They might see the right of these things but they will not do them until the pain is great.

Obama is right on when he says that the government cannot make things right for the people; the people must make things right for themselves. The government can only encourage opportunity. If the people do not seize opportunity voluntarily then they will sink.