homestead - Re: [Homestead] Lime

  • From: "Robert Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: akkabhomestead AT yahoo.com, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Lime
  • Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 22:34:15 -0400

> Are you going to lime a pasture or your garden?

Thanks to everyone on the replies. I'm looking at the "cation anion
connection" in another tab right now. Think that means clay soil needs
more lime, at least in a basic way.

I had my soil tested a few years ago and never did anything based on
that test. This is about 10 acres, divided into 3 areas. The ph was
between 5.2 and 5.4 depending on the field. The basic recommendation
was to add 2 tons to the acre of lime.

I had that done today. Big expense. 7 acres or so is pasture and the
other, I tilled in the spring and cover cropped. Then the drought hit
and I just let the goats graze off the weeds, etc.I'll disk that up
and plant another cover crop this fall.

I really just want to hit the soil with some lime and see where I am
in spring. The soil needs manure, compost, any additions, but I'm
going to have to do that one small area at a time unless I hit the
manure lottery.

I'm excited about the liming. IMO, getting the ph in check will help a
lot in turning this land around.

Rob - Va