homestead - Re: [Homestead] Back in the saddle again

  • From: bob ford <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: akkabhomestead AT yahoo.com
  • Cc: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Back in the saddle again
  • Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2008 11:49:10 -0700 (PDT)

I'm glad to hear you and (husband)quit smoking. The first seven years are
the toughest. After that, you'll only want a cigarette when visiting family

I'm your age, give or take a year or so. I started smoking when I was 21. A
pretty girl dared me to smoke one of her Virginia Slims while I was drunk ,
playing poker , in the fraternity house. 'half hour later, I was smoking an
unfiltered Lucky Strike.

'smoked until I was 36 and then tobacco free except for about 2 years. I
have early stage emphysema ( if I don't start smoking again doc says that
won't be an issue), heart disease (genetic, but the cigs didn't help
matters), and still crave cigarettes early in the morning--I'm always up
before daylight. I quit drinking even decaf coffee because it reminded me of
cigarettes.

I don't tell adult people they shouldn't smoke; It is their business. But,
I have told my four brothers --all non-smokers, but one dipped skoal in his
teens--- to tell their children to shoot heroin before they light up one g**
da*n cigarette. William S. Burroughs was still shooting heroin in his 60s--
many smokers don't live that long--I might not.

I saw a chicken hawk take a farmers chicken one time with the farmer shooting
and cussing. I was pulling for the chicken hawk and he did get
away........bobford