homestead - Re: [Homestead] Back in the saddle again

  • From: Akka Homestead <akkabhomestead AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Homestead List <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Back in the saddle again
  • Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2008 11:05:49 -0700 (PDT)

Baby J was born last December to my DD, and yes, DS is serving somewhere deep
in the Pacific.

Many people allergic to cow's milk find that they are not allergic to goat's
milk.  So a milk allergy doesn't always cross the board to all milk-giving
animals.  Baby J is doing well on a soy formula now...gaining weight and
almost walking on her own.  She stands up on her own  from the middle of the
floor already(been pulling up for two months).  She's like her mother and
grandma, an independent little cuss..  :)  Why walk when you can run?

Most of my trees are semi-dwarf.  I have one dwarf peach though.  Peaches
will soften once picked, but they won't get any sweeter. It is somewhat of a
faux ripening process once off the tree.

Last fall I was fortunate enough to see a peregrine falcon dive into my
chicken moat.  He missed the bird, but it was amazing to watch.

Don't know if I have mentioned this recently, but DH and I have now been
non-smokers for 8 months.   We've started riding bikes for cardio, too.  We
have determined that 15 miles on the flat bike paths of a nearby city is the
same workout as 2 miles in the up and down boonies.   I envision that one day
we will be fit enough to ride the 20 miles into town and back(piedmont type
rolling terrain-ridge and valley geography)

My best project this week was making a faux rock to cover the wellhead in the
front yard.  I started with an old plastic flowerpot and wrapped that in a
ratty old tarp with rocks taped on for mass and weight.  I filled in the gaps
with greatfoam, creating an insulated 'boulder' shape.  Then, the next day, I
mixed up some portland cement and some dirt(ferrocement?) and applied that to
the top with my hands and a trial.  The thing is moveable if we need to get
to the well, but it is not easily removed.  I kicked it and it was like
kicking a boulder-no movement.  I have some spray paint and will highlight in
places-create shadows and such, and I will try to get some moss growing on
the thing.  (In case anyone is wondering, the way I start moss is I take some
buttermilk and some moss and blend it together.  Then, I pour it/dab it, onto
the rock/cement where I want it.  Usually, after a few months, moss is
growing there. )  Anyway, since the stone
doesn't roll, it should definitely have some moss, I think.  :)  I will also
paint the street number on the rock.  I made a flat spot just for that
purpose.  It is near the driveway and at a spot where people, as they drive
up, are wondering if they are in the right place or not....  I have seen
these faux rocks in magazines and they are pretty expensive, especially the
insulated ones with house numbers.  I'm guessing I saved myself $100 or so,
making the thing out of trash.  I already had the cement, so all it really
cost was $8 for the two cans of Greatfoam.  The one I made is 2' in overall
height, 2x3'  at the base...  It was so much fun that I am going to make
more, but the ones I make next will be made on a base as they don't need to
cover anything and I might want to move them around.

Akka B, who is glad to be at home