homestead - Re: [Homestead] The definition of "rural"

  • From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] The definition of "rural"
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 14:04:42 -0400

I still love all the reasons I picked this place. Distance from nearest mall
and Starbucks (about 50 miles) is still a plus to me. My sister moved to
Maine and lives with black flies, so biting insects were something I looked
into...we have a few deer flies, but few mosquitoes or other pests. I put up
with the long, cold winters to get the beautiful not-humid summers (with
plenty of rain).

I'd add 'ability to find a job' to the things I'd want in an area. Coming
from the city, where one could always find some kind of job, it never
occurred to me that I wouldn't be able to find even a minimum wage job (I've
dumbed down my resume and removed anything that gives a hint of my age; I'll
see if that helps). I like the fact that there isn't a competitve, upscale
job market (and the yuppies that come with it), but it means I'm fighting
the high school kids for a job a Micky D's. Cost of living is low here, but
not low enough to get by with NO money.

Lynn Wigglesworth
Tioga Co. PA