homestead - [Homestead] The definition of "rural"

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: Homestead <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] The definition of "rural"
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 05:26:54 -0500

I have written on how the Census Bureau has made it virtually impossible to count ruralites versus urbanites. Here are sidebar notes from an article on the subject:

• The share of the U.S. population considered rural ranges from 17 to 49 percent depending on the definition used.
• Rural definitions can be based on administrative, land-use, or economic concepts, exhibiting considerable variation in socio-economic characteristics and well-being of the measured population.
• For research projects and economic development programs alike, the appropriate definition of rural will be that which meets the goals of the endeavor.

I wonder how many of us might consider ourselves rural whom officialdom deems urban.

Defining the “Rural” in Rural America

The use of different definitions of rural by Federal agencies reflects the multidimensional qualities of rural America.

http://www.ers.usda.gov/AmberWaves/June08/Features/RuralAmerica.htm