homestead - Re: [Homestead] got a plan

  • From: Tom <tom AT honeychrome.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org, genegerue AT ruralize.com
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] got a plan
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 11:47:50 -0400

Maybe climate change, or just a general variation, but rather than the yearly rainfall being pretty evenly distributed as it 'should' be, it does seem like it has become drier in the late spring and summer in the past two years, so our water storage strategies will probably have to be modified. Particularly dry already this year. A long-time (well, longer than us) local said there were supposedly four springs on the property that ran most, if not all, of the year- I've only found one that is still flowing now, plus the stream which is pretty low. Last year the springs were still running in August and September. I think the logging on the top of the hill hurt the water retention. The lay of the land causes the water to concentrate and run off during wet times, so some some on-contour swales will be in order to get more of the water into the ground when its there, and hopefully as the forest up the hill slowly recovers the springs will run longer. I was hoping to get away with doing without a tractor and a lot of land-forming, but I'm starting to think now we might need to do some.

I had hoped to make the switch to the humanure 'system' already- designed the renovation of the bathroom so there is a pocket door down into the basement which has an exterior exit so buckets could go easily down and out, and built a damn nice, bead-boarded 'throne' too, but the wife wouldn't go for it. I think if/when the old septic goes and the reality of the expense of putting in a new system just to retain the luxury of a flush toiled hits she'll be game to go 'humanure.' Still, its a shame to see all that potential plant food go down the drain in the meantime!

Short growing season- average May 20th or so to Sept 30th, at least according to the USDA. Orientation, trees, etc. on the site gives us some advantage over those averages.