homestead - Re: [Homestead] got a plan

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] got a plan
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 07:48:32 -0500

On Jul 9, 2008, at 10:27 PM, tom wrote:

Getting things out
of the head and onto the page does wonders for clarification, and the
design technique of using overlays for various elements like slope,
water and other energy flows, problem spots, etc. quickly ruled out
some initial ideas and presented new, better ones.

http://poplarhill.wikispaces.com/

Well thought-out plan. Sounds like unlimited possibilities. I like all the high water sources, am impressed there is that much water up that high considering your yearly average of forty inches. Walnuts like a lot of water. Your plan to plant them on the contour is right. Raised berms on the downhill side will help water them. Put it on your yearly calendar to prune them after them start growing good; taking off young branches greatly improves log quality.

I presume the "dried well" into which gray water is going is not in fact a well that went dry, but a dry well, sometimes called a French Drain.

You may wish to start the humanure composting system before the old septic fails. An abrupt change might be awkward. Humanure makes great fertilizer for all those fruit trees.

How long is your growing season?