homestead - Re: [Homestead] Moats?

  • From: <eureka AT hctc.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Moats?
  • Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2008 16:45:39 -0500

Love it! Thanks for sharing Gene. Too bad our garden went in long before the chickens came. But I may be able to use this idea somewhere on the land.

On Thu, 3 Jul 2008 16:36:46 -0500
Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com> wrote:

On Jul 3, 2008, at 1:02 PM, Warren wrote:

I think as used on this list, a moat is just a spatial barrier. If I recall
correctly, Gene's "chicken moat" is just double fencing your garden allowing
chickens to patrol the perimeter. The "chicken moat" keeps the bugs out.

Well, it helps keep the bugs out. Also usually keeps out deer and rabbits and helps keep weeds from migrating into the garden. My chicken moat article is the first writing for which I received real money. You may read it here:

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Sustainable-Farming/1988-05-01/The-Chicken-Moat-Enclosure.aspx