homestead - Re: [Homestead] Tomatoes

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Tomatoes
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 20:57:58 -0500

On Jun 27, 2008, at 8:41 PM, Roy Morgan wrote:

My parents, who learned their garden ways in the 1930's and 40's,
pinched out all the "suckers" that sprouted between any other two
branches of the stem.

Maybe it was a strongly held bad idea.

Sounds like it. I've been doing it for decades. I have long pruned the bottom eighteen inches, to help protect from disease caused by rain splash from disease-bearing soil up to the leaves. In this year's tomato patch I am not pruning at all and they are lying on the ground. So far no disease in spite of excessive rainfall. That soil has a very high percentage of grass/leaf mulch and that might be why.