homestead - Re: [Homestead] Oh, that feels so . . . awful!

  • From: Rob <becida AT comcast.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Oh, that feels so . . . awful!
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 23:29:35 -0700

At 6/25/2008 11:58 PM,Gene GeRue wrote:
The reason I am posting at two am is to get my mind off the massive
leg cramp that just got me staggering out of bed, saying bad things
and trying to catch my breath.

Research says potassium deficiency. Gotta be kidding.

I'm late to this thread, so what else is new?

Theories I have heard-

1) Potassium as you mentioned, more bananas is the usual answer.
2) Not enough water, a doctor mentioned this one to me.
3) Not enough oatmeal- This one needs an explanation.
In Bemidji there was an older gentleman who rode a bike everywhere all year, he had some medical problem that kept him from driving a car. He collected cans and that sort of thing to help him get by. One day he stopped by the shop and I mentioned leg cramps, he said that when those happened to him his cholesterol was getting too high and that was interfering with the blood flow in the legs. He ate oatmeal every morning for awhile that cleared out some of the cholesterol and the cramps went away. Worked for me, or at least the leg cramps stopped after I started having 1/2 cup of oatmeal every morning.

There is still a lot we just don't know....

Rob
becida AT comcast.net