homestead - Re: [Homestead] Oh, that feels so . . . awful!

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: bobford79 AT yahoo.com, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Oh, that feels so . . . awful!
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 08:11:18 -0500

On Jun 26, 2008, at 4:14 AM, bob ford wrote:

If you take any type of diuretic, it is almost certainly potassium deficiency. Even if you don't, that's still probably the case. If it starts happening often, you need to see a doc or a nurse practitioner ( potassium also affects the electrical impulses that run the powerplant in your chest). You have to be careful supplementing potassium on your own. Those side affects can be ...er...lethal. You can get a 90 day supply of generic potassium horse pills from walmart for $12 bucks, but you need a scrip.
If this not a regular problem, you probably just became dehydrated yesterday--while you were outside , in the heat, sitting on the porch, thinking about all of the work you are going to talk Don into doing.

Thank you Doctor Ford,

The only things I take are grains, vegetables, fruits, seafood (mostly salmon), poultry (mostly chicken), water, water with green tea, beer and wine. Beer is a diuretic in that one processes the liquid as urine.

This has happened occasionally but not with the severity of last night. I did hit the sweat work harder yesterday, had some concrete work I wanted finished. If I determine a correlation between hard physical work and severe cramps I may have to ease off a touch. More likely I will figure out a system to make sure I drink more sun tea during the day. This might simply be too much sweat out and not enough water in.

I will study the list of veggies and fruits with high potassium and maybe make an adjustment. I will also do leg stretches before bed.

Do you take barter for your professional services?