homestead - Re: [Homestead] tobacco and pipes

  • From: keith bellinger <bartermn AT epix.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] tobacco and pipes
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2008 21:42:57 -0400

Bunjov AT aol.com wrote:
I would like to know, though, about something called...am I way off base by calling them...smoke...sticks? Bundles of herbs, maybe including sage (sorry, Sage) that were burned same as we (No, not we, KemoSabe) burn incense? Ceremonial?

Sage Advice, 1000 words
By bartermn

3/27/02
Henry James Byron was a prolific author of drama, burlesque and pantomime at Cambridge Theatre in the late 1800s. He wrote, “When young sow wild oats but when old, grow sage.”

As I get older and perhaps a bit wiser, I look for plants that can take care of themselves occasionally. Sage is such a plant.

I enjoy passing by the herb beds during my spring gardening chores. Along with other kitchen herbs, three velvety, grayish sage plants are just growing there, not demanding a thing from me until the vegetable plots are prepared and planted.

And come fall, when harvesting, mulching and other winter’s preparations take control of my gardening time, the sages are in their full glory.

For centuries sage was cultivated purely for medicinal purposes and food preservation. It was not used as a food flavoring until the 17th century. The name Salvia means “health,” or “salvation” and it was believed that drinking a strong sage tea improved health and prolonged life. Needless to say, it was found in every herb garden. It takes little imagination to see that common sage’s puckered, gray-green leaves, which range in length from 1 to 2 inches, resemble tongues. Indeed, its name in Greek means ''camel’s tongue.''

There are more varieties of sage than you can shake a smudge stick at, over 500 species. Salvia Apiana, commonly known as white sage, is burned in smudging ceremonies to drive out evil spirits, negative thoughts and feelings. The branches, which have been cut into lengths about one foot long, are bound together and dried. For the ceremony, they are lit and left to smolder, producing a rich, aromatic smoke.

Salvia divinorum is a sacred medicine with psychoactive effects used by Mazatec healers of Oaxaca, Mexico.

Early colonists used different cultivars as a cure for failing memory, nervousness, indigestion, consumption and worms. In folk medicine sage was used for many ailments including inflammation of the mouth and throat and to suppress perspiration.

Garden sage, Salvia officinalis, is hardy to Zone 5 and blooms profusely for about three or four weeks in spring. Planted in a row or in a block it is one of the prettiest of all the Salvias. Unfortunately, after about three years it becomes very ratty looking and should be renewed. It easily grows to three feet with its bluish purple flower stems. The plant should be pruned back beyond the flowers when the bloom is finished, taking care not to prune into wood that has no growth showing.

Other culinary sages include S.officinalis icterina, golden garden sage which has green and gold irregularly variegated leaves; S. officinalis purpurea, purple garden sage, which has dark purple leaves, especially new ones; S. officinalis tricolor, which is variegated cream, green and pink; S. officianlis Berggarten which has a large oval leaf; and S. officinalis minum or dwarf garden sage which is particularly nice in a container. It reaches two feet with its blue flowers. All of these have the same or better flavor of the plain old garden sage. The golden and the tricolor may be a tad less winter hardy. They are also very beautiful to look at in the garden and on the plate. Most of these variations rarely bloom.

Seeds are best sown in late spring. But since it can take two years to grow a kitchen-size plant, save your energy for something rare, and instead purchase transplants. Culinary sage is best renewed every four years by division or layering—pegging down branches of old plants and covering them with 3/4 inch of soil.

Culinary sages should be grown close to the kitchen and receive at least 6 hours of sun each day. The sun is necessary to develop the full flavor of the sage and the proximity to the kitchen assures the sage will be used often. Sage flourishes in well-drained, slightly alkaline soil, and, once established, is tolerant of drought. Full sun is usually recommended, but several of mine appear to be thriving in partial shade.

For cooking, sage is best used fresh, either whole or ground, but it can be dried.

For drying, wash the plants in the garden with a fine spray of water the night before. The next morning when the dew has dried, cut stems as long as possible without cutting into old wood. Unlike most other herbs, the flavor of the sage leaves intensifies as they dry. Drying the herb can be a bit tricky, because the broad fleshy leaves have a tendency to mold. Hanging the herb in a dark, warm, arid place with good ventilation is an effective method for producing crisp, long lasting leaves.

As soon as they are dry, strip the leaves (whole if possible) and seal them in an airtight container. They should keep three or four months, at least until spring brings fresh tender leaves again. Besides the traditional use in stuffing, sage is good with pork, sausage, cheese and other meats. Use sage with fruits in vinegars; if the vinegar is a light colored elixir try one of the variegated forms. The flowers make an attractive garnish in salads, butters, soft cheeses and ice cubes.

Salvia officinalis is the sage most often used for cooking, with the common gray form having the best flavor. The tricolor, golden and purple sages can be used but tend to be less flavorful. Berggarten sage can be used but at half strength, for it has a much stronger flavor. Salvia elegans or pineapple sage, as well as its other forms such as honeydew melon or peach, tend to lose flavor when dried so must be used fresh, when the flavor is amazingly fruit-like. Clary sage (Salvia sclarea), because of its strong aroma, is not much used in the kitchen these days, although the fresh leaves are still sometimes dipped in batter and deep-fried.

Mr. Byron was certainly no Franciscan monk, Indian sage, nor Irish Saint, but he was a very wise man. We should all listen when wise men speak.

--
For by your words you will be justified Keith Bellinger
And by your words you will be condemned bartermn AT epix.net