homestead - Re: [Homestead] Root Cellars

  • From: Roy Morgan <k1lky AT earthlink.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Root Cellars
  • Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2008 11:57:08 -0400

On Jun 7, 2008, at 11:50 PM, Rob wrote:
I'm going to start digging a root cellar.

... I have buried a 90' long water line 5' deep (by hand).

Most Admirable Hand-Diggers,

I admire your strength and determination! At our new house, one of the projects is to re-run the electric feed to the small shed and large barn. The existing feed is "not so good". It seems to be Romex wire sort of tied to the buildings and run through a tree or two. I'd like to bury the wires as part of doing it right.

I've never run a Ditch Witch, but that's the ideal thing, I'm told. It will make a 4-inch wide slot in the ground up to maybe 2-1/2 or 3 feet deep. Of course, I'm hoping that the ground is "dirt" not rocky. While I'm at it, I expect to run some telephone wires, too, so the barn mavens can have phone service and intercom with the house.

Of course, daughters get raised in the best traditions of their Dad's if possible. I'm interested in radio and teletype equipment from the 50's and 60's, and the now 6-year old has in the past been fascinated to type on the teletype machines. I plan to put one in the house and one in my radio barn so I can get called to supper in proper Western Union style! (One of my machines has a big Civil Defense emblem on the side and was used during the cold war to get ready for communication in emergencies.)

Roy

Roy Morgan
k1lky AT earthlink.net
Lovettsville, VA 20180