homestead - Re: [Homestead] Root Cellars

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Root Cellars
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2008 08:04:05 -0500

On Jun 3, 2008, at 7:10 AM, Robert Walton wrote:

Hey all,

I'm going to start digging a root cellar. It is going to be a separate
building and I'm thinking that putting a smokehouse on top would be
nice. One option is to dig nearer the house on a flat spot, the other
would be to build into the side of a small hill by the garden, a
little further from the house. Either way, I'm going to be digging a
lot and by hand.

The root cellar here is dug into the hill and has walls of stone. I am unable to determine if the room above was used as a smokehouse but it is logical.

Make it easy to get into and out of, with arms loaded. This one has three concrete steps and they are too steep. The people who built were probably smaller. Anyway, make it convenient to use.