homestead - [Homestead] Root Cellars

  • From: "Robert Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Root Cellars
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2008 08:10:08 -0400

Hey all,

I'm going to start digging a root cellar. It is going to be a separate
building and I'm thinking that putting a smokehouse on top would be
nice. One option is to dig nearer the house on a flat spot, the other
would be to build into the side of a small hill by the garden, a
little further from the house. Either way, I'm going to be digging a
lot and by hand.

I have the book, Root Cellaring (Mike and Nancy Bubel). It's gives
some decent information. One peice of information is to partition the
cellar to make one section that is kept drier and one that is humid.

I'm thinking that 10 x12 would be a decent sized cellar. I want to
keep canned goods in it also. If I build a smokehouse on top,
insulation in the floor/cellar ceiling is something I've not decided
on.

Has anyone here dog a root cellar? I'm trying to think this through. I
figure that the dimensions are the first thing, I should have plenty
of time to think about the rest of it as I dig.

Rob - Va