homestead - Re: [Homestead] Root Cellars

  • From: Rob <becida AT comcast.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Root Cellars
  • Date: Sat, 07 Jun 2008 20:50:50 -0700

At 6/3/2008 05:10 AM,Robert Walton wrote:
Hey all,

I'm going to start digging a root cellar.

Has anyone here dog a root cellar? I'm trying to think this through. I
figure that the dimensions are the first thing, I should have plenty
of time to think about the rest of it as I dig.

Rob - Va

I have not dug a root cellar I have buried a 90' long water line 5' deep (by hand). Some years later I had a septic put in and a backhoe was used. If I was going to do any serious digging again I'd get a backhoe in to do it. The amount of work done by the backhoe in the small amount of time surprised me after how long it took to do that water line.

I'd figure out what you want to do and find the cash to get the digging done in less than a morning rather than a week or more by hand.

Rob
becida AT comcast.net