homestead - [Homestead] Are we watching the fall over the precipice?

  • From: "Don Bowen" <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Are we watching the fall over the precipice?
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2008 12:13:56 -0700

I keep an eye on economic happenings and with my studies have begun to
understand some of what was called Political Philosophy or later "The dismal
science." Economics is a mixture of social science, philosophy, and politics
and as such is a game that very few can ever hope to understand.

As for the current economic problems, I have watched and studied in morbid
fascination as we have moved ourselves from a nation that builds things to a
nation that just does things. The big money earners are no longer the
captains of industry that used federal money along with lack of oversight and
regulation to amass great fortunes while inventing new methods for building
railroads, steel and oil empires, and the like. The big money earners are
now the people who can use federal money and lack of oversight and regulation
to invent new methods to move money around while collecting huge fees.

The current economic condition is a result of that manipulation coupled with
some real limits to resources. I have somewhat expected that the movers of
money would manage to keep the federal monies flowing and keep the huge
bonuses and the house in the Hamptons and the one in Vail. For me the place
to watch is unemployment. Even if as Kevin Phillips points out, the numbers
are manipulated away from any real connection to reality, it is still an
important metric. Well, today the unemployment shoe dropped. It is no
longer possible to hide the layoffs as airlines and car companies incomes
fall as oil prices climb. The housing layoffs were easy to hide as most were
independent contractors or illegals paid under the table.

As a result of today's report of unemployment jumping to 5.5% (some feel we
should double those numbers) and reports of Israel wanting to bomb Iran the
stock is falling off a precipice with a loss of over 300 points and oil
finding new record highs. Morgan Stanley is predicting $150 oil by July 4
while Goldman Sachs was predicting that price by the end of the year.

Don Bowen KI6DIU