homestead - [Homestead] Rhubarb

  • From: "Robert Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Rhubarb
  • Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 18:51:48 -0400

I saw some plants of this at the farm store last year, no variety
marked on them. Planted and this year it's got some big leaves.
Thought I'd try a few tonight (stems). They are not really red. The
bottom of the stem is red, white inside and the top is green, light
green inside. I chopped them up, cooked with some butter and sugar.
Tastes good.

Should the stem be red? Do I wait for it to ripen more or is it the
variety? Next year I'm going to get a few more roots, it tastes good.

Part of moving north is plants like this, it would never grow in
Florida and I've got no experience with it. Tastes good and is low
maintenance, so I'm a liking it! Anybody have any rhubarb tips,
especially when to harvest?

Thanks,

Rob - Va