homestead - Re: [Homestead] Rhubarb

  • From: SJC <indexer AT localnet.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Rhubarb
  • Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 22:39:32 -0400

Thanks for all the information. So it doesn't really get "ripe", you
just harvest at the right size?

Yep. The big ones get tough/punky/stringy.
.....Last year's drought was tough start anything. I watered it and gave a
generous dose of goat manure in the fall. It seemed to like that.

Yep again. Mine are still getting 'goat shed floor leavings' several years after the goats are gone; it's a good combo...the oldest of my plantings is giant, and the early-up stalks reached 7½' feet last year without Mudpie (my last Old Goat Lady) to chow them down. I was amazed. That plant was the first one I put in here and is about 20 years old or so now. I noticed today (this is our rhubarb 'season' and I all nine trays full on the dryer every day) when I picked up there that some of the plants on the hill have leaves almost a yard across. Those got 'planted' up there when I had a backhoe in here for some ditch work and he put a couple extra loads of dirt up there in a low spot and some roots must have gone along for the ride.....now hard to get to but I can't let them go unused.

Susan Jane